Hand rearing kittens is a rewarding experience. It can also be challenging and even daunting, but with the right information, it becomes much easier.
This article will cover all you need to know about hand rearing kittens from how to do it properly, benefits of hand rearing them, tips for success when hand rearing them and more!
How to Hand Rear Kittens?
There are a few things you will need before you start hand rearing kittens:
- Kitten formula or kitten replacement milk: There are many different types of kitten formula available, so make sure to get the right one for your kittens. You can find this at most pet stores.
- Feeding bottles: Get bottles that are specifically designed for feeding kittens; these are usually marked as such on the packaging. Avoid using baby bottles as these can be dangerous for kittens.
- Thermometer: This is essential to make sure the milk is at the correct temperature before feeding it to your kittens (more on this later).
Once you have all of this, you’re ready to start hand rearing your kittens!
The process of hand rearing kittens is quite simple:
1. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. This is essential to keep both you and the kittens safe and healthy.
2. Fill a feeding bottle with milk, making sure to remove all the air bubbles. Air bubbles can cause intestinal problems in kittens, so it’s important to get rid of them.
3. Place the kitten on your lap, facing away from you. supporting its neck and head with one hand.
4. Use the other hand to hold the feeding bottle close to the kitten’s mouth, making sure the nipple is in its mouth. Gently squeeze the bottle to release milk into the kitten’s mouth.
5. Continue feeding the kitten until it has had enough. You will know when it’s had enough as it will start pushing away from the bottle and trying to move away from you.
6. Once you have finished feeding the kitten, gently place it back in its bed or box and clean up any messes made during feeding.
It is important to remember that kittens need to be fed every two to three hours, so make sure you are prepared for this before you start hand rearing them.
Why Are Hand-Reared Kittens More Affectionate?
One of the benefits of hand rearing kittens is that they tend to be more affectionate than kittens that were raised by their mothers. This is likely because hand-reared kittens are used to human interaction and attention, and they learn to trust humans at a young age.
This can be beneficial for both you and the kitten. It means that the kitten will be more likely to come to you for help or comfort if it is feeling scared or lonely, and it also makes it easier to form a strong bond with your kitten.
What Are the Benefits of Hand-Rearing Kittens?
There are many benefits of hand-rearing kittens, some of which include:
1. They learn to trust humans at a young age, which can lead to a stronger bond between you and your kitten.
2. They are more likely to be affectionate and trusting, which can make them easier to bond with.
3. They are used to human interaction, so they may be less skittish around people than kittens that were raised by their mothers.
4. They are more likely to be socialized and friendly with other animals, which can make it easier for them to integrate into a household with other pets.
5. They can be easier to train than kittens that were raised by their mothers.
How to Make Sure Your Hand-Reared Kittens Are Healthy and Happy?
There are a few things you can do to make sure your hand-reared kittens are happy and healthy:
1. Make sure they have a warm and safe place to sleep. A box or bed with a soft blanket is ideal.
2. Make sure they have plenty of food and water. Kittens need to eat frequently, so make sure you are prepared to feed them every two to three hours.
3. Make sure they are vaccinated and dewormed according to your veterinarian’s recommendations.
4. Take them to the vet for regular checkups. This is especially important in the early weeks and months, when kittens are most vulnerable to health problems.
5. Spend time playing with them and cuddling them. Kittens need lots of love and attention, and what better way to give it to them than by spending time with them?
How to Bond with Your Hand Reared Kittens?
There are a few things you can do to help form a strong bond with your hand-reared kittens:
1. Spend time playing with them and cuddling them. Kittens need lots of love and attention, and what better way to give it to them than by spending time with them?
2. Make sure you handle them frequently. The more you handle them, the more used they will become to human contact, and the stronger the bond will be between you.
3. Talk to them in a gentle voice and let them know what is happening around them. This will help them get used to your voice and make them feel safe and secure.
4. Take them on car rides or for walks. This will allow them to experience new environments and sights, which will help them become more confident and socialized.
5. Give them lots of love and attention. Kittens need plenty of TLC, and the best way to give it to them is by spending time with them. So, set aside some time each day to play with them, cuddle them, and just spend time together.
Tips for Success When Hand Rearing Kittens
There are a few things to keep in mind when hand rearing kittens:
1. Make sure you are prepared for the commitment. Hand-reared kittens require frequent feeding and attention, and they may also need to be taken to the vet for regular checkups.
2. Make sure you have a safe place for them to sleep. Kittens can be very active and playful, so they need a place where they can rest without being in danger of getting injured.
3. Make sure you have plenty of food and water available for them. Kittens need to eat frequently, so you will need to be prepared to feed them every two to three hours.
4. Be patient and consistent with your handling of them. The more time you spend handling them, the more used they will become to human contact, and the stronger the bond will be between you.
5. Give them plenty of love and attention. Kittens need lots of TLC, so make sure you set aside some time each day to play with them, cuddle them, and just spend time together. With a little patience and love, you can form a strong bond with your hand-reared kittens that will last a lifetime.
Hand-reared kittens can make wonderful pets, but they require a lot of time and attention.
If you are prepared for the commitment and are willing to provide them with plenty of love and care, then hand-reared kittens can make a great addition to your family.