Are Boston Ferns Toxic to Cats? (Different Studies)

No, Boston Ferns are not toxic to cats. This popular houseplant is an excellent choice for pet owners because its leaves are nontoxic to cats and other pets, making it a safe addition to any home.

The Boston Fern can provide your cat with stimulating visual stimuli, as well as promote healthier air quality in the home. With proper care and attention, these plants can last for many years and require minimal effort to maintain.

Here in this blog post, I’ll give you an overview of the Boston Fern and its safety for cats. I’ll also tell you about what if your cat ingests a high amount of Boston Fern and how to take preventive measures, in case your cat tries to eat the plant. So keep reading!

Different Studies on Boston Fern Non-Toxicity on Cats

Green Boston Fern Plant

Cats are known for their curiosity and knack for getting into everything. Unfortunately, this can lead to cats consuming something they shouldn’t.

Many people who own cats opt to keep Boston Ferns in their homes, as they’re considered non-toxic to felines. But is that really the case? Several studies have been conducted over the years to assess the potential risks associated with cats ingesting Boston Ferns.

One study out of Harvard Medical School looked at the effects of a variety of ferns on cats, including Boston Ferns. The study tested samples from both healthy and sick cats to determine how toxic each species was when consumed.

The results showed that while Boston Ferns were generally non-toxic, there were some mild gastrointestinal symptoms observed in a small percentage of cats that had ingested them, such as vomiting or diarrhea. Additionally, it was noted that these symptoms didn’t seem to last very long if treated quickly with supportive care and fluids.

In contrast, another study published by the Journal of Veterinary Medicine focused solely on Boston Ferns and their toxicity levels towards cats specifically. This research used 12 healthy adult cats as subjects and exposed them to varying levels of Boston Fern material over a period of time.

After closely monitoring all subjects throughout the experiment, it was determined that there were no adverse reactions whatsoever experienced by any of the animals tested—not even mild ones like those seen in the Harvard Medical School Study.

These two studies indicate that though some signs may be present after consumption, overall Boston Ferns are relatively safe for cats when used properly and maintained according to recommended guidelines (i.e., ensuring they never freely roam around unsupervised).

Also Read: Are Bromeliads Toxic to Cats? (My Experience!)

Which Part of the Boston Fern is More Toxic for Cats?

Boston Ferns are known to be non-toxic plants, but that doesn’t mean it’s completely safe for cats to eat them. While the leaves are technically considered safe, they still pose a risk if your cat consumes too much of them at one time.

The risk of toxicity increases if your cat consumes the roots or seed heads of the plant, as these parts contain higher levels of saponins, which can be toxic to cats if ingested in large amounts.

It’s important to note that the toxicity level of Boston Ferns can vary depending on the individual plant and species, so it’s best to err on the side of caution if you’re ever unsure.

Why Some Cats Attracted to the Boston Fern?

Cats are naturally curious creatures, and it’s not uncommon for them to have a fascination with plants. Unfortunately, some cats may be drawn to the Boston Fern due to its unique texture, which can sometimes resemble catnip.

Additionally, cats may be attracted to the plant’s soft foliage and bright green leaves, both of which make it quite appealing from a visual perspective. Unfortunately, this attraction could lead some cats to ingest pieces of the plant if given easy access.

My Cat Chewed on a Boston Fern – What Should I do?

A Cat Chewing  Boston Fern

I know as a pet parent it can be scary to see your cat chew on a Boston Fern, but there’s no need to worry. In most cases, the plant material will pass through their system without any adverse reactions.

However, if you notice that your cat is exhibiting any abnormal behavior after chewing on the fern, such as vomiting or diarrhea, then it’s important to contact your veterinarian for further assistance.

Your vet may recommend giving your pet some type of supportive care to ease any discomfort, depending on the severity of the situation. It’s also important to keep in mind that cats should never consume large amounts of any plant material, as this could lead to more serious health complications.

How Much is Excessive and Toxic to Cats?

When it comes to the Boston Fern, there’s no exact amount that can be considered toxic. Every cat is different and can react to these plants in various ways.

In general, it’s best to keep the amount of Boston Fern your cat consumes to a minimum, as even small amounts can cause gastrointestinal upset or other minor symptoms. If you’re ever uncertain, it’s best to contact your veterinarian for advice on the matter.

Overall, knowing how to properly care for and use Boston Ferns in a safe and responsible way can help ensure that your cat doesn’t experience any adverse reactions after coming into contact with them.

Is Vomiting Normal After Eating Boston Fern?

In general, vomiting is not a normal reaction after eating Boston Ferns. However, if your cat has consumed a large amount of the fern, then it’s possible that vomiting could occur.

It’s important to contact your veterinarian if this occurs, as they may want to monitor your pet for any signs of dehydration or electrolyte imbalance due to excessive vomiting.

In addition, keep in mind that even small amounts of Boston Ferns can cause some cats to experience an upset stomach or gastrointestinal issues, so it’s best to limit their exposure to the plant.

How to Stop Your Cat From Eating Too Much Boston Fern?

Here I’ll provide you with several tips on how to discourage your cat from eating too much Boston Fern.

1. Prevent Cats from Accessing the Fern

The easiest way to prevent your cat from consuming the Boston Fern is to keep it out of their reach. Consider placing the plant in a location that’s out of your pet’s access, such as on top of tall furniture or in a room where they don’t usually spend time.

2. Use Repellents

Another way to deter your pet from eating the fern is to use a natural repellent. Spraying a little bit of lemon or orange juice around the plant can help discourage cats from nibbling on the leaves.

3. Give Them Other Green Options

It’s likely that cats are drawn to the Boston Fern because it resembles catnip. If you’re unsure of why your pet is attracted to the plant, try providing them with other green alternatives such as cat grass or parsley.

4. Clean Cat’s Litter Box

It’s no secret that we all love our cats, but sometimes their messes can be tiresome to clean. When they’re bored, they tend to flip the house upside down and break things or dig up potted plants.

This is because cats naturally like to dig in the dirt and bury their poop; it’s instinctual for them. If you want to help limit this destructive digging behavior, try cleaning your cat’s litter box more regularly and placing it in a spot where they won’t have to go searching for it.

5. Train Your Cat

Training your cat to stay away from the Boston Fern can be a bit of a challenge, but it’s possible with consistency and patience. Consider using clicker training as a way to reward your pet for behaviors you want them to learn.

For example, if they attempt to approach the fern, make sure to immediately take them away from the plant and reward them with a treat. Over time, they’ll learn that the Boston Fern is off-limits, and they’ll be less likely to try and nibble on it.

By following these tips, you can help ensure that your cat stays away from the Boston Fern and doesn’t suffer any adverse reactions from consuming it.

My Final Thoughts

Boston Fern is non-toxic to cats, but it is still important to be aware of the potential problems that can arise from consuming too much.

By following these tips, you can help ensure that your pet remains safe and healthy while enjoying the beauty of this gorgeous plant.

If you’re ever uncertain about how much Boston Fern your cat should have access to or if your pet has already eaten too much, contact your veterinarian for advice. They can help provide the best care and treatment options available.

By taking the necessary precautions, you can ensure that your pet remains safe and healthy while keeping your home looking beautiful.

Happy Cat, Happy Home!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *